Rock & Gem accepts submissions of original faceting designs for its Many Facets column. Before submitting, contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (805) 644-3824 ext. 129 for a Contributor Agreement and W9 form.
A Many Facets submission consists of:
- the GemCad four-view diagram (.jpg file and hard copy)
- the GemCad cutting instructions (.doc file and hard copy)
- the designer’s comments (.doc file and hard copy)
- a clear, closeup photo of the cut stone, unmounted (.tif or .jpg)*
*Photos must have a minimum resolution of 300 dpi at 4 inches by 5 inches.
Submit electronic materials on a CD or flash drive and include printed copies of the text and images in your package. Mail to Many Facets Submissions, Rock & Gem magazine, 3585 Maple Street, Ste. 232, Ventura, CA 93003.
PREPARING A GEM CAD DESIGN FOR PUBLICATION
by Jim Perkins, Many Facets contributor
To submit a faceting design to Rock & Gem magazine, you will need to put the design into a format the editors and artists can use.
SAVING THE GEM CAD FOUR-VIEW AS A .JPG FILE
1) From the four-view window, left click your mouse on a facet to make sure you copy the design image. Then cancel the pop-up window.
2) Hold down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard and then press “C” to copy the four-view images to the clipboard.
3) A pop-up message will confirm you have copied the four-view image.
4) Open Windows Paint, which comes with all versions of Microsoft Windows.
5) Hold down the “Ctrl” key and press “V”. This will paste the four-view image into Paint.
6) Save the image as a .jpg file.* Copy it to your submission CD or flash drive.
*Be sure that your .jpg has a minimum resolution of 200 dpi at 7 inches square.
SAVING THE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS
1) Open the window in GemCad that displays the cutting instructions.
2) Highlight the word “Pavilion” by left clicking the mouse on it.
3) Hold down the “Ctrl” key and press “C” to copy the cutting instructions to the clipboard. A pop-up message will confirm that you have copied the cutting instructions.
4) Open a new document in your word processor, hold the “Ctrl” key down and press “V”. This will paste the cutting instructions into your document file.
5) Save this document as a .doc file. Copy it to your submission CD or flash drive.